After repeated attempts to get one building into Mudbox, I decided to leave it and texture the whole scene, however, the textures came out distorted.
I tried to use the normal texture maps from blender, but Mudbox kept giving me a message that the UV Map was wrong. In the end I imported the whole thing from blender into unreal and placed a stone wall texture on it.
The trouble after that was trying to get the buildings onto the grass steps correctly. No matter how many times I re-sized the buildings or the terrain, I kept getting the same result, where some of the building would float in mid air.
I went back to blender and this time managed to import each building separately.
Whenever I became frustrated with the buildings, I would try and improve the terrain.
Now, I’m having trouble trying to import the grass steps as a mesh into mudbox in order to paint textures. I get all sorts of warning message about degenerated faces or too many edges. I look up all the error messages and try to fix them by using the clean up tools in Maya and correcting the UV layout.
I am going to keep trying to correct the mesh, but if it doesn’t work out I will need to try something else.
This is some basic texturing I did in Mudbox. I used the stencil tool to overlay a map of Machu Picchu and the surrounding landscape on top of the sculpted mountain and painted over it.
It doesn’t look quite as good as I hoped. I wanted to make it look a bit more realistic. After disscussing this with my tutor, I have decided to import the model into Unreal, use the landscape tool and sculpt onto it, like leaving an impression of sorts, and then using the Unreal painting tools to create the landscape.
I downloaded some Lidar scans from the university of Arkansas’s website, however it was of the ruins surrounding Machu Picchu, not Machu Picchu itself. Neil helped me find a website that could provide scans of locations that were searched for, however, after converting the scan into a height map and then using it in Unreal, we found that there was a massive gap where Machu Picchu should have been.
Neil helped me a lot by using Google Earth to find the mountain, then used Google Sketchup to pop the terrain and make a 3D model that could be used in Mudbox.
Nestled in the misty valleys between the Peruvian Andes and the Amazon Basin, Machu Picchu is one of the most important archaeological sites in the world. This 550 year-old stone citadel is perched on top of a mountain ridge high above the Sacred Valley, 2,430 metres above sea level. The tropical mountain forest is an incredibly beautiful setting, with its rich diversity of flora and fauna. The site’s enormous walls, terraces and ramps appear as though they were cut naturally from the steep rock ridges. Machu Picchu was declared a Peruvian Historical Sanctuary in 1981 and a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1983.
The aim of this project is to re-create Machu Picchu as a 3D environment using Unreal Engine and Autodesk Maya. The result could be used as an exhibit piece in a museum or as a potential level in a game. Not only will the ruins in present day be created, but I will also create a visualization of what the ruins would have looked like in the past. Lidar scans and Digital Elevation Mapping data found online will be used to create an accurate likeness of the present day Machu Picchu and the surrounding environment. Concept art and additional research will be used to re-create the temples and village in the past.
The main goal of this project is to create an immersive environment with possible stylized graphics by September. The result will be an interactive environment, rendered in real-time. This work will also be added to my portfolio in response to the demands of the game industry.
I was inspired by the Legend of Zelda series when texturing these models in Mudbox. I wanted the elements to look like a cartoon, but more colourful.I think my style is heavily influenced by platformers such as Super Mario and Crash Bandicoot in the 90’s.
The ground tile is a bit unusual, the top is sandy and bumpy but the bottom is supposed to be made from a purple rock, with arrows engraved on the side. I wanted a bold, simple style, and it I wanted the elements to look consistent with each other.